Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Can Do This

So Greg just left yesterday to go to Utah for 2 weeks. He will back for about 4 days and is then off to Georgia for 6 weeks. I have to admit that a few days ago I was mad at him, even though I know it's not his fault. I mean it's not like he can just tell the army. "No" or so say, "My wife just had a baby this really isn't the best time for me to leave." I don't think the army really cares. So like I said I know it's not his fault, this just happened to be the time he had to leave. Still I was feeling sorry for myself the other day and had a little anxiety about having to take care of both kids on my own. I have had some friends tell me they know how I feel because their husbands work long hours, but when they say things like that I just want to slap them in the face! I want to say at least your husband is home every night, can help out in the morning or once he gets home and you get to spend the whole weekend with him. I on the other hand will be going to bed alone and wake up alone for 6 weeks. I will take care of my kids with no husband for 6 weeks. It's not just the lack of help but the missing of my companion. Greg is my best friend and I get very lonely not having him around.

So like I said Greg left yesterday around 4 and i spent my first night with just me and the kids. To my surprise it ran really smoothly and after Eva was in bed at 8:00 and Layla and I were in our beds by 10:00, I had this voice come into my head that said, "you can do this" I had such a feeling of comfort and I was so relaxed. It was wonderful. I know that everyday will not run perfectly, but I really feel like I can handle all of this. I just have to stay positive. And lean on my family and friends. I know I have help if I need it. I just have to swallow my pride and ask for it. Plus Heavenly Father blessed me with a very sweet, easy going baby. I think he new I needed her to be sent to me now so that I can manage both kids. And I am thankful for that. So today I am very positive. I know that I can handle this. I love my kids and my husband and once April rolls around this will all be over. Well until next year when he gets sent away to Afghanistan or somewhere else. But that will be a whole other post, I'm not ready for that, yet.


14 comments:

ashycam said...

First I want to say you look great for just having a baby. Second I really do understand where you are coming from. I had makayla and just a few weeks later Lorne had to leave for the summer. She was born the end of April, He left in mid may. We didn't see him again until he came home for a weekend in July, and then was gone until August. I am not one to ask for help, but while he was gone I had to learn to ask and/or accept the help from friends and neighbors. I prayed a whole lot and I know that Heavenly Father helped things go well for us while he was gone. I know he will do the same thing for you. Hang in there. Some days are easier than others, but you are pretty tough and you will make it through. If I can anyone can, and you are a lot tougher than I am. Will you get to talk on the phone with him? I did have that luxury while Lorne was gone. That helped on those nights I really missed him. Nights were the hardest for me.

Rachel B said...

Andi, you are amazing. If anyone can do it, you can. You are just so organized and calm and optimistic by nature...that I would be worried about a lot of people having to go through something like this, but I think you are going to continue to handle this hardship with the same amount of grace and poise that you handle everything else. You will make it look easy, and the rest of us will ask...how does she do it? Like we always have. You truly are one of those amazing women that have been there, strong and warrior-like yourself, so that your husband can do the important work that he has to do while he knows with a certianty that everything at home is being taken care of because he has such a heroic wife. You are. And you will do this. And I love you and can't wait to see you!!!

The Larsons said...

Andrea you are my hero of a MOMMY! No really! You amaze me! From the first few months Blaise and I were married- you were pregnant on your own and braver than I would EVER be! So hang in there..your doing great! AND.......you know you have two friends who have NO kids and LOVE your kids and wouldn't mind babysitting AT ALL! You know our numbers and we will be waiting!

Julianne said...

The town we live in is approximately 70% military (Air Force) families. One of the girls I visit teach is our age, she's 7 months pregnant with her 2nd kid, and her first is only 16 months old. Her husband has been deployed to Qatar for 2 months now. He'll get home this week, and he'll be here until two weeks after their baby is born. Then he is deployed again for FOUR MONTHS. Then he'll get two more months at home, and then around Thanksgiving, they plan to deploy him for another two. She is really having a hard time knowing that she is basically having to be a single mom for the next year. It makes me SOO angry to watch her have to struggle. It's like, "Hello, Military, but I just had a baby. I NEED my husband more than you do." There seems to be no consideration for the things that are going on in the military members' personal lives, and it seems so wrong. You'll handle it with grace and strength while he's gone, but I wish you didn't have those hard moments/days/nights that you'll have. I wish we weren't fighting these wars and these new dads could be at home with their wives and kids. I also wish I was closer so that I could come be your friend in the days.

You CAN do it.

Ty and Jenn said...

I am glad the first night went well and I hope the rest of the time will fly by as smoothly for you. I wish I lived close by to help or even take Eva off your hands. You really are an amazing understanding wife. Greg is lucky to have you. If you ever need someone to talk to just give me a ring!

Tom & Michelle said...

Andi you can do this and you will be in my prayers that everything will go alright. And just think March 19 will be here fast and I can come out and help you. i love you

John and Melanie said...

Andrea, You are amazing. You can totally do it. Keep your head up! Your family is so beautiful.

VALUABLE VINYL said...

Ummm, that baby can't be yours? You do not look like you just had a baby!! Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry he is going to be gone so long, I can't believe that, you'll do great and probably be surprised how fast the time will fly by. Does Greg really have to go oversea's? Or were you kidding? Anyway, take care darlin' and good luck being super mom.

Furniss Family said...

Well, sorry forgot to sign out of the other blog, valuable vinyl is me of course :)

Greg & Andrea said...

No, I wasn't kidding. Next year he really will have orders to go somewhere. We will probably know in the next few months when and where, but like I said I just try not to think about it too much right now. It gets too overwhelming.

Lee and Valerie Gunther said...

Andrea,

I would say you look good for just having a baby, but I can't you look like you have never been prego, let alone a few weeks ago, how do you do it? I admit wish ic could pop them out and look like that two weeks later :) Way to go. I can only imagine what it would be like to have Lee gone for that long, I am glad you have family and friends close to help, I know you can do it though, you are an amazing girl. Hang in there.

Rachel B said...

You don't need any luck for being a supermom because you already are!

Greg & Andrea said...

I am hardly a super Mom, but thanks. Coming from you it means a lot. Cause your the real super Mom.:)

Amber said...

Oh Ann, finally today I'm checking blogs. Yes, I'm a bit out of the loop. I love you and you know I'm always here to talk. Well of course you know since we talk daily if not multiple times a day. You are my best friend and I apprectiate all the support you've given me with my little baby monster. :)Hopefully I can reciprocate! Love you!